Poor liver symptoms I have experienced: coated tongue, bad breath, skin rashes, excessive weight, overheating of the body, excessive sweating, brown liver spots on the skin, cellulite, offensive flatulence, IBS and hormonal imbalances (from a list prepared by Dr. Cabot). Don't I sound like a peach?! :)
Preparations for a juice fast: I have bought two books by Dr. Cabot 'The Liver Cleansing Diet' (the book I read back in my undergrad days) and 'The Juice Fasting Bible' which I had never heard of, but I saw it in the store. After reading a couple of chapters I decided then and there that I wanted to do a juice detox to help my liver get a huge start. Next I ordered a blender/juicer that is supposed to be fantastic (it better be for the amount I'm paying!) which arrives in three more days. I also remembered that there was some kind of powdered herb mix from the liver cleansing diet I wanted to have, which I managed to track down on Amazon called 'Livatone' which is Dr. Cabot's blend. When I was looking for it at a local independent health food store, the sales clerk told me "well, all these liver supporting blends are pretty much the same" and I suspect she is right, but I wanted Livatone because I remember the comments people were giving me the last time I was taking it, and how good I felt. For me this is a tried-and-true product. $57.oo for a strong blend in capsule form, 240 tablets. Yikes. It then occurred to me that I had a bit of time to get well educated on what I am about to embark on, and make sure I have everything I will need. So, I brought LFA (linseed, flaxseed and almonds) which I can crush up into a blend and add it to my juices to up my intake of Omega-3's. I brought Salmon Oil to also help with this at my vitamin store, as well as Vitamin D3 (and Gotu Kola but that is for my brain). I went to Target and bought all the additional equipment I think I will need from airtight jugs to ziploc bags, collanders, measuring cups and more (yes, I did this because my kitchen is in a very sad, barren state). Then I went to Home Depot and bought two herb growing kits and the seeds for about 90% of the herbs recommended in the juicing book. I have also just purchased a fancy vegetable peeler online so I can remove the skins of some tough vegetables and fruits. The last thing I will get on Tuesday morning before my juicer arrives, is the foods I will be juicing, and the fresh herbs I will need while my herb garden grows.
While this sounds horrifically expensive, it has actually been only about $230 so far for the books, the LSA, the vitamins and salmon oil, the Livatone, the herb garden and the equipment for the kitchen and the super fancy vegetable peeler. Unfortunately the juicer was not cheap and this amount does not include the fruits and veggies I will be buying, or the juicer.
The juicer will arrive on Tuesday (probably in the early evening) and I think the Livatone will arrive on the Thursday. Hopefully sooner though! The peeler will probably arrive the following week. I am mentally preparing myself to start a juice detox this Wednesday. I will probably try a 3 day juice fast but I REALLY want to try a two week fast. After re-reading the list of symptoms, who could blame me?!?!?!?
I am not sure how long I will be living on juice elixirs, but I plan to commmit to doing it until my liver is healthy!
No comments:
Post a Comment